Did you know that 1 in 100 babies in the U.S. are born with a congenital heart defect? CHD's are the leading cause of infant death, and the #1 birth defect of live infants. The cause of most congenital heart defects are unknown, yet funding for research vastly lags behind childhood cancer and other genetic diseases.

Has your child been diagnosed with l-tga? I would love to talk with you. Please enjoy my blog and email me if you would like to join a network of parents of children with l-tga and other CHD's.




























Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Sad Boy Here

I figure I had better get a post on here so everybody doesn't start to worry....All is well here, it has just been a day that's been hard to take a few minutes for myself to get this posted.

Nicholas had an x-ray early this morning, more bloodwork throughout the day, and an echo this afternoon.  Everything apparently looks really good.  They took him off of dopamine this afternoon, which means that he will lose a "line", or in other words, one of his IV's. 

I guess the only significant thing to report is that he is super depressed.  It is practically impossible to get him to smile, let alone not cry everytime he talks to us.  He is very sensitive this time.  I am pretty sure that last time he was a lot more mobile by now....this time he has tears in his eyes every time they so much as approach him.  He always does exactly what he is told to do, but he is trying very hard to hide his emotions and as one of the nurses said, he acts very "stoic". 

He was up most of the night last night, and when I fell asleep at his bedside from about 5:45 to 7:15 this morning, he looked at me and asked why I fell asleep and left him alone.  He is very scared and just needs constant hand holding and protection.  His nurse last night was this big, dark lady who was on the gruff side of things and I think he was scared of her.  So for me to fall asleep while he was under her care was a really big deal to him.  Needless to say, now he has finally fallen asleep this afternoon for the last hour or so and is sleeping soundly. 

We will be here in CVICU at least until tomorrow.  I'll let you know as soon as possible of any changes.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for lines coming out! Sounds like he's being such a brave boy - those silent tears pull at your heart. I can relate to the sadness - Nate was very similar for the first week or so. I remember running to get my camera when he finally cracked a smile, thought I'd never get my Nate back. He also learned how to scowl in the ICU. Nurses thought it was cute, but it was hard to see him like that. Hopefully some of his favorite foods will perk him up soon? You're doing an awesome job - even if he thinks mom shouldn't sleep for even an hour. Praying for an extra measure of strength and energy for you - and for a very restful night for Nicholas! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete