Did you know that 1 in 100 babies in the U.S. are born with a congenital heart defect? CHD's are the leading cause of infant death, and the #1 birth defect of live infants. The cause of most congenital heart defects are unknown, yet funding for research vastly lags behind childhood cancer and other genetic diseases.

Has your child been diagnosed with l-tga? I would love to talk with you. Please enjoy my blog and email me if you would like to join a network of parents of children with l-tga and other CHD's.




























Monday, July 11, 2011

So Far So Good

We have been up here in CVICU for a while now, and I will try to update Nicholas' status....

So far his vitals are stable, but the doctors want to leave the breathing tube in until tomorrow so his body can rest and so they can closely monitor his Left Ventricle for any stress, i.e. LV heart failure.  He apparently didn't have much bleeding and everything was pretty much non-eventful up to this point. 

I feel both relief and fear.  I am so glad that Nicholas made it through surgery without any problems.  It hasn't gotten any easier each time we leave him to be put under general anesthesia, and to have either invasive tests or worse, open heart surgery.  Just to see his sweet face brings a lot of peace to my heart.  I hope that his LV can handle the new load placed upon it and that he will have a speedy recovery like the last time we were here. 

I feel a bit of fear because now I know that with a successful PA Band, comes the Double Switch down the road.  That scares me.  But on the other hand it gives me hope.  How can all of these emotions be so tightly woven together??? 

Nicholas in CV-ICU
I love my boy.  I am so thankful to be sitting next to him right now.  Please pray for us.  Whether you are religious, spiritual, or whatever else, please keep Nicholas in your thoughts as he continues on this journey. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the updates today - so hard to see those pics and all the emotions that come along with it. So glad that things have gone as planned! And cool to see that in just a month, that his numbers increased significantly (it gives me hope!). Now let the healing and recovery begin! Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete