Did you know that 1 in 100 babies in the U.S. are born with a congenital heart defect? CHD's are the leading cause of infant death, and the #1 birth defect of live infants. The cause of most congenital heart defects are unknown, yet funding for research vastly lags behind childhood cancer and other genetic diseases.

Has your child been diagnosed with l-tga? I would love to talk with you. Please enjoy my blog and email me if you would like to join a network of parents of children with l-tga and other CHD's.




























Friday, December 17, 2010

Let the games begin...

Our brave little Nic was extubated today around 3:45.  He was not very happy about all the people in the room, everyone telling him he did such a good job, and telling him he is so brave.  I wanted everyone to just be quiet and let me and Lorenzo talk to him and explain things to him since we know him best.  I know they were just trying to make it easier for him, but it seemed to me that it made it more anxiety-provoking for him.  He could barely talk from the raw feeling left behind from the tube.  Now, a few hours later, he has episodes of crying and it seems that the real work begins.  He has been begging me for a chocolate moo (milk) for over an hour and it will probably be at least tomorrow morning before he can have anything like that.  He has not even been allowed ice or water yet.  It could be a really rough night.

Everything is stable except his "bi-carbs", which are low.  They are somewhat at a loss as to why, but they are testing his urine to see if he metabolizes the bi-carbs they keep giving him in his IV quicker than normal and maybe that is why they are consistantly low. I'll keep ya posted...

2 comments:

  1. Oh Brenna - I hear you! You'd think that surgery is the hard part, but I agree, this part can be so hard. I mean - all he wants is a little sip of water, right? It's so painful to deny him something like that. I'll pray that he gets the go-ahead for all the normal stuff he wants soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read through all of your posts about your time at Stanford. I cried for little Nic who can't understand what is going on... and I cried for his parents who have to watch it. We love you guys and our hearts are with you. Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete